Coaches, just like their clients and athletes, come in all shapes and sizes and just to be clear, I'm really not talking about their height, body composition, or hair styles. To me the most important question that a coach needs to ask themselves is the central question, "why do I want to be a coach?"

There are a ton of possible great answers to this question including the desire to pass on knowledge that they've acquired through years of study and personal participation in the field they wish to coach in and on an even more basic level most coaches know that they have a tremendous amount of influence on those they coach and as we often see this can be potentially a really good thing or sometimes a very frustrating experience - see youth sports for all the fun some coaches have trying to keep concerned parents from tackling referees on the field for a possible mistaken call!

Ultimately most coaches have a strong desire to change the lives of those they coach for the better. Whether teaching a diabetic how to eat better for a healthier life or helping and athlete better understand nutrient timing for optimal recovery great coaches go beyond cookie cutter programming to get to the core of how to make these changes. That might include improving specific skills in a sport but even more importantly the best coaches are usually focused on - especially in a sports coaching setting - helping their players become better human beings while they're becoming better at a particular sport. If you're a coach and what you care about most is how many wins you have in a season or how many times you are mentioned in the local press then I'm not sure you really understand what coaching is all about.

For those coaches who have been in the trenches for a while almost all would tell you that there's something especially rewarding about running into someone you helped coach in the past and hearing them yell out, "hey coach" and hearing them talk about the impact that you had on their lives.  Coaching by it's very nature is a position of great influence and responsibility so taking a little time to exam your motives for coaching is always worth the time.

Comments

08/15/2016 3:56am

Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me.

01/10/2017 2:01pm

I don't want to be a coach. I am not good enough for that I suppose.

04/11/2017 9:30am

Do you think it is so simple? I guess you need learn a lot to become a great coach.

04/17/2017 11:56pm

Before you buy testosterone boosters you should be aware of the various uses of them, the side effects, and the different types that are available. You should then get diagnosed by a doctor who will give you a prescription for the right amount that you need. After this, you can compare prices at the local store or online and choose the best option.

04/20/2017 1:05pm

Keeping fit over Christmas is tough. The cold, dark, icy weather, the unhealthy foods and the regular flow of alcohol can all put a rapid halt to your fitness regime. However, you can make sure that the festive period does not completely derail your fitness efforts by following the 4 Christmas fitness tips in this article.

05/22/2017 1:38am

I'd like to be a coach. But I need to learn a lot for this.

All coaches are great people! I know a lot of good people who are great coaches too! They love what they do!

Author

Pat's coaching and training career now spans over a three decade period in which he has coached and trained thousands of fantastic people from all walks of life including volleyball athletes from middle school to college and beyond, Division 1 lacrosse, golf, basketball, soccer, tennis and baseball athletes as well as professionals from teams like the Baltimore Orioles.  Working with some of our areas top medical providers Pat has also developed a strong medical exercise practice helping young ACL patients return to the field and 80-plus year olds regain their confidence to move again.  Becoming a better coach and trainer and staying a lifelong learner is  what drives him to share some of the hard won nuggets of practical and evidence-based tactics and tips for his clients and fellow fitness professionals.